SAPC/RCGP awards for Outstanding Early Career Researchers (Academic General Practitioner and Primary Care Scientist)
Closing date each year: 31st January
These awards recognise researchers who have made significant contributions academic primary care.
Previously known as the Yvonne Carter Award, named after Professor Yvonne Carter CBE, whose research a huge impact on academic general practice
We now offer two annual awards, one to an Academic General Practitioner and one to a Primary Care Scientist.
Each award winner is given: £500
In addition they are invited to present their work at RCGP’s Winners Enclosure at the annual conference (19th-29th October 2023) and the SAPC ASM 2023 (19th or 20th July 2023, Brighton).
Please apply by submitting the following information by email only to SFB@rcgp.org.uk. In the email please specify which award Academic General Practitioner or Primary Care Scientist you are applying for.
1. Your CV
2. A letter of application (maximum 1,200 words) outlining your current research and how you use the awards funds.
3. Please ask your head of department to sign your application letter and confirm you have a substantive (or honorary) contract.
Take a look at Interviews from our previous winners here
For further information, please contact the RCGP Research Teams Scientific Foundation Board by email SFB@rcgp.org.uk.
- 2011 Professor Christian Mallen (GP)
- 2012 Dr Katherine Cresswell (PhD)
- 2013 Dr Greg Irving (GP)
- 2014 Dr Helen Atherton (PhD)
- 2015 Dr Clare J Taylor, MBE (GP), highly commended Dr Sophie Park (GP)
- 2016 Dr Kamal Mahtani (GP)
- 2017 Dr Nathan Davies (PhD)
- 2018 Dr Andrew Carson-Stevens (GP), highly commended Dr Emma Wallace (GP)
- 2019 Dr Emma Wallace (GP)
- 2020 Dr Sarah Mitchell (GP), highly commended Dr Jessica Watson (GP)
- 2021 Dr Samuel Seidu (GP) and Dr Shoba Dawson (Primary Care Scientist). Dr Oliver van Hecke (GP) was highly commended - interviews
- 2022 Dr David Blane (GP) and Dr Oliver van Hecke (GP) joint winners, there were no applications in the Primary Care Scientist/HSR category - interviews
Please take at a look at RCGP Research awards page for more information on application criteria and eligibility.