Heads of Teaching (HOTs)
HOTS are responsible for overseeing the strategic delivery of academic activity related to University based primary care teaching
The group meets twice each year with representation from all UK medical schools with some lively eDiscussions taking place in between. Co-chairs are Joe Rosenthal (UCL) and Alex Harding (Exeter). Hugh Alberti (Newcastle) and Sonia Kumar are also members of the HoTs Executive which shares organisational and representative duties.
Here's an outline of our key activities:
- Negotiate with Department of Health regarding the undergraduate tariff for teaching
- Produce high quality, high impact research (if we could put the attached articles done by HOTs that would be good – Hugh – could you send yours in and give brief precis of the GP perceptions study that is underway?)
- Using research evidence to brief MPs, Ministers and Parliamentary committees regarding provision of community-based undergraduate education in medical schools
- Liase with RCGP, Medical Schools Council and other bodies regarding developments to undergraduate education
- To act as an information sharing and support network for those with responsibility for undergraduate community-based education in the UK medical schools.
The group works closely with HODs and with the RCGP to provide a unified approach to provision of Primary care undergraduate education in the UK.