2018 July 10th - meeting notes
Society for Academic Primary Care (SAPC)
Exercise / Physical Activity as Medicine Special Interest Group (SIG)
Launch meeting:10th of July 2018
Attendees introduced themselves and provided an overview of their areas of interest.
Common areas of interest included:
- The prevention and treatment of non-communicable diseases through sustaining and increasing physical activity, and adopting a physically active lifestyle
- Development of new physical activity interventions for delivery in primary care
The focus of the SIG was discussed:
- It was agreed that linking to public health messages and opportunities via primary care was important.
- Physical activity interventions that focused on the person, and those that focused on specific health conditions were both recognised as important and of interest.
- Physical activity training opportunities were also felt to be useful for the group, in addition to sharing learning through research.
Other opportunities for the SIG were discussed:
- There was support for the idea of a webinar as a mechanism for shared learning
- The SIG was also recognised as a good opportunity for developing collaborations around primary care based physical activity research
- Ongoing communication between SIG members could occur via email or other social media e.g. Yamer (a social networking service used for private communication within the SIG), Twitter, Research Gate
- SIG leads (MH and EH) to review the SIG aim and objectives in light of the above discussions to see if any changes to these are required
- SIG leads to consider development of a webinar (one option could be around the development of novel physical activity interventions)
- SIG leads to explore the best method of ongoing communication between SIG members